Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS) - Reviews, Questions & Answers



Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)

  • Expand by connecting up to 4 USB 2.0, or 1.1 devices to any USB 2.0 capable computer
  • Supports USB 2.0 transfer rates up to 480 Mbps. Backwards compatible with 1.1 devices and hosts
  • Reverse Compatible with USB 1.1
  • 4 per-port LEDs. Sleek black finish. All 4 ports on one side to minimize cable clutter.


Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)



check-price-on-amazon

Add up to 4 peripherals quickly and easily with the Sabrent HB-UMLS USB 2.0 Hub. Especially great for notebooks which come with only a few ports in an era when you need to attach many USB devices at once, such as a printer, card reader, cell phone, iPod, thumb drive, mouse, keyboard, or an external hard drive. Achieve full 480 Mbps on each port, or daisy chain multiple hubs to a maximum of 127 devices. Fully backwards compatible with the USB 1.1 products

Please Note:
For a stable connection, the devices connected to the 4 Port Hub must not exceed a combined current of 5 volts 500mAh. External hard-drives should be connected to an external power source. This 4 Port hub will not charge an iPad (it will only sync).


Features:
* Blue LED to indicate power status for each port
* Data transfer speeds up to 480 Mbps
* Four downstream ports support high-speed (480Mbps), full-speed (12Mbps), and low-speed (1.5Mbps)
* Supports up to 127 devices by daisy-chaining multiple hubs
* Some power-intense USB devices may require a AC-Powered USB hub

System requirements:
* Mac OS 9.1 & higher
* Windows 98SE /ME /2000 /XP /Vista /7/8
* Linux 2.4 or above

Package contents
* USB 2.0 4-port hub

Warranty:
This product comes with a three year warranty.
In order for us to properly assist you, please follow these simple instructions:
Go to sabrent.com/support and click 'Submit a ticket'.
Submit your ticket.
You must include your Amazon Order ID# number in the subject line.

Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)


check-price-on-amazon
Please click on a question to see its answers.


Q:what's the different between the one with the external power adapter and the one without?
A:External power allows for charging more devices. Without it, it can't charge 4 things at one time.



Q:If I plug this into the front of my computer and let it dangle will it fall out?
A:It's about the size of a pack of gum. If you're just going to plug it in and let it hang I think you'd be ok. Any prolonged movement/vibration will inevitably loosen the connection and/or damage your jack.



Q:Does the fact that each has a switch mean that you can just turn each of them off without doing "safely remove" or "eject" devices?
A:Devices still must be safely removed. It does allow up to four devices to be plugged in and activate the switch when needed.



Q:What is the recommended ac adapter to use with this?
A:I called the manufacturer to ask this very question. They recommend Sabrent model PS-5V4A. http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-100V-240V-Adapter-Support-PS-5V4A/dp/B00MRGKPH8



Q:I have 2 external hard drives: 1 is 500 GB, 1 is 2 TB. Both have their own power cords. Will they work with this hub?
A:yes they will, I have a 3 tb WD, a 2 tb Fatom,and a 1tb HP they all work fine, and and any thumb drive that I plug in syncs right up.Some of the thumb drives are usb 2.0 , no problem



Q:How long is the connection cable? Does it require AC adapter?
A:The cable itself is about 6 inches from the hub to the single usb connector. As far as power it will supply power to plug-ins but if it is a power hungry device it may require an AC-powered usb hub.



Q:can i connect this device to a wall plug and charge my iPhone/apple products or does it have to be connected to a computer to charge my apple products
A:I just tried out both methods, and neither of them were able to charge any of my usb devices. This is mainly to create more usb ports for your computer



Q:How many ports can I have active at one time, without overloading the single port of the computer?
A:I have not seen any limitations or overloading. I use 3 of the 4 ports constantly, and have since I purchased it, without any problems at all. I use it on a Lenovo work laptop to consolidate many cables coming into my various laptop USB ports. It is very convenient when I take my laptop home and then bring it back. It … see more I have not seen any limitations or overloading. I use 3 of the 4 ports constantly, and have since I purchased it, without any problems at all. I use it on a Lenovo work laptop to consolidate many cables coming into my various laptop USB ports. It is very convenient when I take my laptop home and then bring it back. It only takes one hookup instead of 3 separate hookups. I run two additional monitors and a keyboard through the 3 ports I use. see less



Q:What's the performance when. let's say, 4 pendrives are connected in? Do you experience any troubles moving data between them or to the computer?
A:No, no problem moving data. Just semi-slow because it isn't anything fancy but, it isn't super slow to me either. What's cool is that I can plug my hard drives into it too. Things that didn't work I've learned are my drawing tablet because it requires a wacom bamboo drive etc. can not peform pressure with this. but! … see more No, no problem moving data. Just semi-slow because it isn't anything fancy but, it isn't super slow to me either. What's cool is that I can plug my hard drives into it too. Things that didn't work I've learned are my drawing tablet because it requires a wacom bamboo drive etc. can not peform pressure with this. but! Two time when I have had all of them on and runnin something, and plugged in a fourth one! it cut off. I had to ya know restart the computer. So it could refresh its self. So you gotta be a bit easy when plugging in a bunch of stuff. Once it is in there everything work fine.I love mine, blue lights are nice but, can get annoying at night. I love that u can click them on and off it's convenient. I use it everyday! :) see less



Q:If I plug this into a 2.0 USB port on my CPU, will I still get the benefit of Sabrent's 3.0 speed? Or is it about time I update my motherboard? Thanks
A:Your USB speeds will only be as fast as the slowest component you plug into it. If you plug a USB 2.0 external harddrive into a USB 3.0 you'll get 2.0 speeds. If you plug this hub into a USB 2.0 port, you'll get USB 2.0 speeds. Depending on the age of your PC you can probably get an add-on PCI card with USB 3.0 ports i… see more Your USB speeds will only be as fast as the slowest component you plug into it. If you plug a USB 2.0 external harddrive into a USB 3.0 you'll get 2.0 speeds. If you plug this hub into a USB 2.0 port, you'll get USB 2.0 speeds. Depending on the age of your PC you can probably get an add-on PCI card with USB 3.0 ports if you do not want to upgrade. see less



check-price-on-amazon



Q:Can I plug it to my TV to power a Chromecast and Amazon stick?
A:I think it certainly could. This is only a hub, which extends the connection ports. The amount of data transferred from Chromecast and Amazon stick would certainly not be enough to bottle neck the Hub. Plus, I assume one device will be used at a time ( when you project stuff on TV, Chromecast will be of use, and Prime … see more I think it certainly could. This is only a hub, which extends the connection ports. The amount of data transferred from Chromecast and Amazon stick would certainly not be enough to bottle neck the Hub. Plus, I assume one device will be used at a time ( when you project stuff on TV, Chromecast will be of use, and Prime videos will use Amazon stick) see less



Q:How do I know if I need a 2.0 or a 3.0 USB Hub?
A:Hi, usually the inside of the 3.0 USB connector plug (female) and the hub receptables (male) will be blue in color! This should tell you if you will need 2.0 or 3.0!3.0 will definitely give way better speed than a 2.0 Some 3.0 receptacles will be compatable with a 2.0 this will depend on if the shape of the plug matc… see more Hi, usually the inside of the 3.0 USB connector plug (female) and the hub receptables (male) will be blue in color! This should tell you if you will need 2.0 or 3.0!3.0 will definitely give way better speed than a 2.0 Some 3.0 receptacles will be compatable with a 2.0 this will depend on if the shape of the plug matchup with your hub receptacles since there is a difference in the plug shapes when it comes to the 3.0 type A or BGood info on link here:-http://www.diffen.com/difference/USB_2.0_vs_USB_3.0 see less



Q:I have a Microsoft Surface & it's limited to only 1 port; I would like to use WD MyBook external hard drive & USB mouse- will this hub power both?
A:hello: it sure will.....not a problem.



Q:I purchased the powered unit, and when i plug it in, i can't power the first port next to the usb connection. anyone else experience this?
A:I have also noticed that. When I just have have the power adapter plugged in, I can't charge anything on the first port. However if I plug it into my computer, I can connect and charge on the first port. The other ports work normally for me.



Q:Can you use the power supply one, without the power supply if you wanted to?
A:Yes you can. I use the power supply to power up my iOS devices and the usb monitor that I use frequently.



Q:Will it work with ubuntu 13.10?
A:Sorry I have not yet downloaded ubuntu so I cannot say for sure. I can say it works wonderful with my usb 3.0 and 2.0 ports. UBUNTU is supposed to work very well either in place of windows or alongside it so my best guess would be it will probably work but as I said I cant be 100%



Q:Can you charge devices with it?
A:Yep its one of the functions i use it for since i have a lot of mobile devices anything with a usb can charge on it and multiple ones at that



Q:will it work on a mac and pc?
A:I own a mac, it works fine. I'd imagine the same would be for any PC



Q:Will this work on PS4? I want to be able to charge my controller, headset, and have music playing on the USB stick music player. All at once.
A:I plugged in my Ipad and it said it wasn't charging for some reason. I don't know about your controller or headset. I think it is mainly if you want to expand your thumb drive inputs.



Q:Can I use this hub for my HP 4250tn laser printer?
A:I see from the specs of this printer that it prints via USB but only USB 1.1. Although I have no personal experience with that particular printer, the Sabrent 2.0 HUB says it is "Fully backwards compatible with the USB 1.1 products", so it should work fine. Bottom line is that if works with USB now, it should work with… see more I see from the specs of this printer that it prints via USB but only USB 1.1. Although I have no personal experience with that particular printer, the Sabrent 2.0 HUB says it is "Fully backwards compatible with the USB 1.1 products", so it should work fine. Bottom line is that if works with USB now, it should work with the Sabrent HUB; but, of course, performance will be only as fast as USB 1.1 provides. This is a compact HUB that is 3.25" wide X 1.25" deep and about 1.25" thick. The cord is only about 2.5" inches long, some will like that, some won't. I find it attractive and functional overall. Hope this helps! see less



check-price-on-amazon



Q:My wife likes a roller ball type pc mouse, I prefer the regular/traditional style. Would we be able to switch between the two using this?
A:Yes, you will be able to. The good thing is that once you press the button you either activate or deactivate the port so you can have both mice plugged in.



Q:Does anyone have a chromebook that can confirm the compatibility with this? It's just a USB splitter, so I don't imagine there being any problem...
A:I do not have a chrome book, but from my experience with the item dealing with android and Ubuntu this should work as a generic hub.



Q:I want to live view and record video from my cctv surveillance camera on my laptop ... will this work ?
A:I don't know what your set up is like but this is a usb hub with 4 ports and it works great for my flash drives, portable hard drives, cell phone etc while I'm on my ladptop



Q:does it work for charging?
A:yes. I charged my camera on it.



Q:my tv has 2 hdmi ports but I have 4 game consoles will it be able to switch between them
A:No. This is USB for sharing the older 2.0 port to talk to things like printers, keyboards and mice.



Q:If I were to connect two Logitech game pads to this splitter will my PC recognize both of them?
A:Yes, 2 Logitech controllers work fine. I don't remember if I ever tried all 4 of my controllers, but I use 2 regularly with no issues. I did run into a problem where the controllers no longer responded very well when I used a 6 ft USB extender between the hub and the computer, but i'm not sure if that's a fault in the … see more Yes, 2 Logitech controllers work fine. I don't remember if I ever tried all 4 of my controllers, but I use 2 regularly with no issues. I did run into a problem where the controllers no longer responded very well when I used a 6 ft USB extender between the hub and the computer, but i'm not sure if that's a fault in the hub or the extender. It works fine plugged directly into the computer. see less



Q:is this safe for transferring photos or videos guaranteeing it wont have corrupt files or bad transfer quality. i experienced others that it affects
A:Yes if you do everything correctly it will work just as a direct port.



Q:Regarding the model that comes with the power adapter, can we use it also without the adaptor (eg. when only one or two devices are attached)?
A:Yes the power adaptor input power is 110 thru 240 VAC, 50 to 60 Hz, .5 A, but it didn't come with the connector adaptors necessary for other than the standard 110 wall outlets.



Q:Description says compatible up to Windows 8. Will this work with Windows 10?
A:yes



Q:Anyone have this at the end of a 30 foot+ USB extender? Will it power and work ok? (IR receiver + keyboard/mouse receiver)
A:Don't have it in a 30 foot but a 15 foot dosn't seem to have any problem with my macbook iphone and ipad. Would think that a bluetooth connection would be a better router (sorry about the pun ) if possible.



check-price-on-amazon



Q:In the 5th picture shown for this item, the USB Hub has a cord much longer than 4 inches. Where can I buy that one?
A:Answer this question



Q:I have an alienware laptop, would this actually give ample power to a PS3 controller? or will it just say its Driver cannot be installed, cuz its to weak?
A:Had my son try it to answer this question, yes, it works. Now he uses this device to charge multiple controllers at once & can do so while playing, plugged into the PS3 or computer. We are quite impressed with this device actually.



Q:Does the power switch just kill the power to the port or does it stop data transfer also?
A:Yes, if you tun off the switch (any of the 4 switches) there is no power to the port, so no transfer can occur. I just always leave on the switch connecting the port box to my extra hard drive. I know its on because it lights up the button. For the other 3 ports on the hub, I turn one on only long enough to use a fl… see more Yes, if you tun off the switch (any of the 4 switches) there is no power to the port, so no transfer can occur. I just always leave on the switch connecting the port box to my extra hard drive. I know its on because it lights up the button. For the other 3 ports on the hub, I turn one on only long enough to use a flash drive or another peripheral. It's handy for that. see less



Q:will it charge an ipad
A:no its just to add additional ports



Q:Can I plug this USB 2.0 Hub into a USB 3.0 Port on my PC?
A:i think so.



Q:If I plug multiple usb Mics into it, will they register in GarageBand?
A:I perhaps should answer I don't now but I was stimulated to research it out. Each port can be a separate feed. You can assign these inputs to be different channels of the Aggregate Device, so you still get the same control in Garageband that you would with a full set of inputs on a device like a firewire mixer. See. … see more I perhaps should answer I don't now but I was stimulated to research it out. Each port can be a separate feed. You can assign these inputs to be different channels of the Aggregate Device, so you still get the same control in Garageband that you would with a full set of inputs on a device like a firewire mixer. See. Using Multiple USB Audio Devices in Garageband | Adam Weiss ...www.podcastconsultant.net › 2007/03/14 see less



Q:Will this hub work with Dell Venue 8 Pro connected to an OTG?
A:I have connected mine through a KVM switch, to another USB hub, and directly to my computer and it works with my keyboard and mouse with no issues. I don't know what an OTG is but as long as you are trying to connect to your computer it should work. Like any hub that does not rely on a direct wall connection for power,… see more I have connected mine through a KVM switch, to another USB hub, and directly to my computer and it works with my keyboard and mouse with no issues. I don't know what an OTG is but as long as you are trying to connect to your computer it should work. Like any hub that does not rely on a direct wall connection for power, it can get overheated. I have not had that issue but keep it in mind for what you expect to use it for. see less



Q:can I use USB memory sticks(sansdic,cruzer,verbatim, whatever) to transfer data to my PC or Xbox 360 with this device?
A:I would assume so on PC (if you plug in devices & push corresponding button, PC will recognize the new drive). Don't have 360 to test with, only PS4.



Q:Will it sync and charge an iPhone 6?
A:It will sync, but I do not have an iphone 6. What is the power requirement of an iPhone 6 and what is the power output of this hub? That will tell you.



Q:If I were to connect it directly to my laptop with no adapter would I be able to use all 4 ports
A:As long as your laptop has a usb port it should work. The unit plugs directly into your usb port. You can then plug into the 4 ports as needed.



check-price-on-amazon



Q:does this usb hub have chip in hub
A:Answer this question



Q:Purchased this to plug into a 6ft usb extension cable and the pc does not recognize it.
A:Even though the computer doesn't recognize it, it may still work. I get the same message for my flash drive which works fine. With it plugged in reboot the computer and see what happens. It may be the difference USB 2.0 and 3.0 that produces the message. The hub is only a pass-through device for other devices that … see more Even though the computer doesn't recognize it, it may still work. I get the same message for my flash drive which works fine. With it plugged in reboot the computer and see what happens. It may be the difference USB 2.0 and 3.0 that produces the message. The hub is only a pass-through device for other devices that the computer actually "sees". see less



Q:Umm i have a question would you be able to make the led's green and the blue part of the usb?, ill pay extra! (It matches my PC setup.)
A:Answer this question



Q:Can I use this in my car?
A:I bought the product for my car so I have the option to plug in my Iphone and Ipod plug so I don't have to disconnect and reconnect the USB from the car USB port. Sad to say, this product did not work in the car. (I tried plugging it in the USB port as well as the power outlet charger (with the adapter connector)-did n… see more I bought the product for my car so I have the option to plug in my Iphone and Ipod plug so I don't have to disconnect and reconnect the USB from the car USB port. Sad to say, this product did not work in the car. (I tried plugging it in the USB port as well as the power outlet charger (with the adapter connector)-did not work. And "No" I didn't try charging both at one time.) But, still an awesome product that I use to connect to my PC. see less



Q:will work with microsoft surface pro 3 ? (does it have the power)
A:Answer this question



Q:Could a backlit keyboard and mouse work with the usb 2.0 hub after the hub is extended 9 ft?
A:Response time I'm guessing there would be some lag but it should work.



Q:If i plug this into a usb extension w/ a repeater, there shouldn't be any loss of signal/speed, right?
A:Answer this question



Q:How long is the power adapter?
A:From the tip of the USB port to the end of the wire attached to the adapter, it's 10.5 inches. The adapter is 3.25 inches. Total 13.75 inches long.



Q:Can i use this with an external usb 3 hdd (output) and a usb sdxc card reader (input) and pass through my surface pro to copy files from card to hdd?
A:No Idea, mine came broken and is useless. Buy a more reliable one. It is chintzy ans the cord is way short.



Q:Ordered with the power supply. the first port only works when the usb off the device is plugged in to something else?
A:all 4 ports working at some time once pluged to the computer (laptop) and the computer is "ON"......



check-price-on-amazon



Q:Can I lengthen the cord?
A:You will need a usb adapter



Q:What can I use to get my tablet to work with my my printer?
A:Hi, you may want to get a printer with an Airprint feature. That should d the job.



Q:OK to use with Windows 10?
A:Yes it will work great with Windows 10



Q:I have a tv with only one usb port. can i use this to connect both my directv box and dvd player?
A:USB is a universal system. I see no difficulty. It should work on any Computer like connection weather Musical Keyboard, computer or TV



Q:Can I plug my wireless USB mouse and keyboard both at same time to this USB port? Will it work? Is there any lag using wireless devices?
A:Yes you can. That is exaclty what this is made for. I have to experienced no lag with the device to date, and I am using all four ports at all times.



Q:Does this work well with a roku 3?
A:yes



Q:Can you use this on a TV to plug in an external hard drive
A:I was very disappointed with my purchase of this item because when I plugged it into my usb port on my IMAC desk top it would not power any other external drive.



Q:I noticed a small circular hole next to the usb cable. What is this for (I'm guessing power adapter)?
A:Yes but it isn't included.



Q:Does this usb port works for connecting a xbox 360 controller on pc and play games?
A:i don't know in my case i just got it to have extra ports for charging different items.



Q:Could I use this to connect all of my rockband/guitar hero instruments to my ps3? or does this only turn on each port individually?
A:I think you can use it. The port switch only go individually if you push one switch in.



check-price-on-amazon



Q:If I plug this into my 3.0 U.S.B slot will it still run as a 2.0?
A:Yes, on mine UX21 ASUS Zenbook it works well on both slots.



Q:can you charge a non data carrying device with this?
A:Sorry, I've never tried so I don't know.



Q:Since this is listed as USB 2.0, will I be able to plug in my external HDs that are USB 3.0? Or will they not be recognized?
A:USB 3.0 ports are backwards compatible to 2.0. Likewise, USB 3.0 devices are typically backwards compatible to work at USB 2.0 speeds.



Q:Can you put a webcam and speakers into the hub?
A:We have a webcam on it. I would imagine it would take speakers if they don't draw much power or have external power, but I'd check with the manufacturer. I had gone to their web site and they have easy to get to support desk.



Q:Will this allow 4 USB LifeChat headsets with mics to work simultaneously? i would like 4 students to listen to an audiobook playing on one laptop.
A:Three concerns: 1) the combined current (mAmp) draw of four sets, operating at 3.7 volts each, will be about 1,200 mA or 1.2 amps which could overload the laptop's USB output circuit. 2) the 4-port hub is six inches from connector to block, and could cause some crowding around the laptop depending on the length of the … see more Three concerns: 1) the combined current (mAmp) draw of four sets, operating at 3.7 volts each, will be about 1,200 mA or 1.2 amps which could overload the laptop's USB output circuit. 2) the 4-port hub is six inches from connector to block, and could cause some crowding around the laptop depending on the length of the LifeChat cords. 3) since all the "bandwidth" will be competing for one serial signal, the flow of conversation might be intermittent (broken). The hub $ is low enough that if it didn't work, not much capital investment lost, however, concern #1 would be a real problem if the laptop's USB circuit overloaded. Caution advised. see less



Q:Can I use this on my Xbox 360 to connect more controllers?
A:I don't know. I would google it.



Q:i bought one of this but i notice i can charge my ipad 2 , is this normal , or i have a defective product ?
A:Read the answer above. No charging the iPad - too much power needed. You can sync though.



Q:Is this device compatible with Google's Chromebook?
A:Honestly, I'm not sure? I believe any operating system which can use USB 3 would be able to use the switch. then again, I don't use chromebook



Q:Does it work for xbox one
A:I have not tried it since I only have wireless controllers. It does work good on my PC though.



Q:Does this item come in a retail box?
A:No, this did not come in a box. It came in a padded mailing envelope.



check-price-on-amazon



Q:Will this work to hook up xbox1 and dvd and cable
A:If your equipment has standard USB connections, yes. My primary usage is cell phone, ipod, tablet and external hard drive.



Q:Are the ports spaced adequately to accommodate 4 PNY thumb drives at the same time. The marketing pictures seem to be going out of their way not to sh
A:I tried two, which is all I have. One is old and much wider than the newer one. They fit fine, so I'm sure four will fit.



Q:so if i plus my wired mouse. will it work with pc or is this only and external power supply? because i will use it with my phone mouse headset etc...
A:The hub is powered from your computer's USB port. It doesn't have an external power supply.



Q:Will this transfer data from a kindle fire to a flash drive?
A:It's a standard USB Hub. So depending on the devices you are plunging into it will depend on the limitations. I hope that helps.



Q:Can I plug this into a car USB port so I can connect flash drive and iPhone charger?
A:I have now tried this, but I see no reason it wouldn't work as you need.



Q:What is the difference between the 3.0 and the 2.0 - I'll be using this with the latest version of the mac mini.
A:I believe USB 3.0 is faster but unlikely to be noticeable in use.



Q:My Samsung smart TV has 1 usb plug.. Can I use this 4-port usb hub? thanks!
A:Yes



Q:How long is the cord and is there a wall mount option on the back?
A:Cord is USB only and it is about 9 inches from unit to computer and it doesn't show it in the photo, however, maybe one drawback, it has a very small cord that you have to plug in to the hub as well. But that is not an issue for me.



Q:chromebook
A:Answer this question



Q:where do I get a AC charger for this unit and at what voltage
A:You don't need an AC charger for it unless you are using high draw USB attachments. I run two 8 led keyboard lights and a USB sound and mic adapter for my headset on mine without a problem. The only thing you would need the AC for would be if you are running cooling fans or things like that. It would need a 5volt ad… see more You don't need an AC charger for it unless you are using high draw USB attachments. I run two 8 led keyboard lights and a USB sound and mic adapter for my headset on mine without a problem. The only thing you would need the AC for would be if you are running cooling fans or things like that. It would need a 5volt adapter which you can buy here on amazon if you look it up. I would try it out first then order one if you need it. see less



check-price-on-amazon


Sabrent 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub with Individual Power Switches and LEDs (HB-UMLS)



check-price-on-amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment